View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cams View Post
The MD is not a body size I'd come across before and, being a fingerstyle player with a strong preference for a heavy bass, it sounds like it might just be right up my street!
Thanks for waking this thread up Cams.

The MD is something you'll encounter a lot around these parts, thanks to Ervin Somogyi and his acolytes.

It was probably at the front of this thread that I said the first time i played one, I knew I'd have to shoot for one, even though it wouldn't necessarily be the most balanced guitar to play everyday. The bottom end was HUGE, coupled with a real elegant mid- and top-end sustain, and built in reverb (i.e. lots of overtones).

However, it's now a few years later and I have had both an MD and an OM by Jason, and I have to admit I'm playing the MD more than I ever thought I would. It's far less of a "freak-show" guitar than I'd thought it would be after first playing one. When I'm playing steel string, both get around 50% of my time whereas I thought initially that the MD would only come out for weekends. The MD is actually a far more balanced sound than first impressions would have you believe.

Yes - Kim Walker....yikes! He's on my bucket list for sure.

Cheers,
Steve