View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Hey, no hate for big guitars. For 2 years there my neck went numb playing them. But that was from a shoulder injury.

Remember setting up the band saw at the beginning of your project? It took 6 months for my thumb to heal. Blood everywhere. You "Are you mad" Me "NO, just Bleeding and I want it to quit"!
LOL - we both pretty much had to learn to set up and use that things - as well as the Jett drum sander.

I only want to do a couple of passes on the Jet the with riftsawn boards in the interest of getting a good glue joint. They're pretty much S4S already and I don't want to whittle away too much width given that the inner 3 plies make up the tenon and the center layer should be the same width as the truss rod. Speaking of which, I need to order me up a 14.5" double action truss rod.

BTW, let's open this up for discussion. John and I have talked about this a little but I'd like to hear what others think. I'm going to be making a laminated neck using 3 1/4" thick riftsawn veneers (either maple/walnut/maple or maple/rosewood/maple) for the inner 3/4" section. The tenon on my plans is 3/4" wide and the channel for the truss rod channel is 1/4" wide. For the outer layers I have two riftsawn boards of mahogany and am debating about which one to use. Sorry, no pics to illustrate for comparison/contrast though.

One is darker and denser than the other. Brookside lumber (local to me) claims it's Honduran mahogany but it's ribboned an awful lot like sapele. I bought it a year ago and it's pretty much ready to go as far as moisture content and acclimation goes.

The other I picked up from Rockler and is lighter in color and weight and more closely matches the coloring of the back and sides. The weight thing is incidental though since this other board is slightly smaller than the first one I picked up. It has a nice solid ring to it and feels less "oily" than the first board I picked up.

So which one should I use?