View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 AM

I recently upgraded my road bike, bought a full Shimano Ultegra box set online that included new shifters/brake levers, front and rear brake calipers, front and rear derailers, all new cables, bottom bracket and cranks, rear 11 speed cassette, and front 3 ring set, paid about $630 delivered to my door in a week from the order. My old stuff was Dura Ace, but 11 years old and roughly 80k miles on it, I'm happy with my old frame so feel I got a great deal on a new bike.

From your description of your riding style, I would think your ideal set up would be a 'Cross' bike. Covers what you describe with ease, not ideal for more technical big rock or deep sand kind of riding. You might go ride one.

Trek has a lot to offer, pretty standard bikes, Merlins as well. I like Felt, the low end FX comes in around $850, goes up from there, Specialized Crux starts about $1,400 and goes up. The frame not such an issue, except for fit, it's all about the component set. Buy a frame that fits well and you like the look of, spend your money on the best component set you can afford.

In regards to size, set up (like guitars), is crucial. A free bike sizing and set up with purchase is ideal, paying and addition 50-60 bucks for a good set up is worth the money. For comfort and long rides I like to be spread out, not tight and bunched, a big frame for my size is more comfortable. I've spent most my years on a bike racing and training, have alway ridden smaller frames that are well set up for my body dimensions, for the best aero dynamic position, I no longer race, that positioning is less ideal for my riding style now. What is your intention regarding riding style for the next 10 years?.....pick that frame.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-13-2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity