View Single Post
Old 02-10-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I was on the fence on the Schatten and the K&K, so I’m curious… Do you find one better than the other in terms of feedback rejection or having a stronger signal?
The K&K has a much stronger signal than my passive Schatten HFN. I'm assuming your version with a preamp would be stronger or compare similarly to the K&K.

Because of the boomy low end of the K&K it is more feedback prone than the HFN. Although all soundboard transducers tend to be less feedback resistant that a traditional undersaddle piezo.

As far as tone, it would all depend on personal preference:

The HFN is very articulate (sometimes to a fault) and requires a cut on the high frequencies. I have had no problems with the low end like others have reported. Both of my guitars have plenty of low end and I actually cut at the 200 frequency to reduce feedback.

The K&K sounds great but is less articulate on the high end. And even with a substantial cut on the low end it is still a bit bass heavy. I'm sure it varies depending on the guitar and installation position of the K&K sensors.

I prefer the HFN because it's easier to tame and dial in the sound I want (and again... it doesn't require a superglue installation). I'm actually considering adding the Utra Tonic UTP V3.2-CK to the K&K in my SJ guitar. Many report it gives the K&K a much more balanced signal reducing the boomy low end and adding a more articulate high end.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor