View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Question Loar LH309-VS Mods/Upgrade Suggestions

Hi,

The other day I scored a Loar LH 309-VS with the intention of using it as a knock around gig guitar. I’m rather surprised how decent it is straight out of the box, but I’m still taking it over to my guitar tech this week to see if I can make it just a bit sweeter.

I’ve never had an archtop acoustic before, and I’m curious if any Loar 309, or any acoustic archtop owners, have any mods/part upgrade suggestions that they found really made their archtop shine? I’ll mostly be using this in a ragtime-ish finger pickin’ group, through a tube amp (fender silverface champ).

For starters I’m thinking about having the bridge base sanded down a bit to open up the option of lower action, right now the action is not that bad, but the stock saddle is bottomed out with no option to go lower. And I have a Lollar P90 around that I was thinking of replacing the stock pickup with. The only thing I’ve done so far besides changing the strings is putting felt strip between the tail piece and the bridge to tame the sympathetic string ringing a bit.

Thanks