View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
The kind of sound they play in the movies after some guys girlfriend moves halfway cross the country to California. Then he wakes up the next morning hungover half baked and reads the goodbye note his drunken crying girlfriend wrote the night before after the fight but before the silence. Next he walks down the the sleepy city sidewalk on a chilly fall Sunday Morning passing a few sleeping lowlifes next to cheap magazines covered with filth, rows of run down brownstones with broken windows graffiti and replaced with garbage bags , damaged street parked cars with even more busted out windows replaced with trash bags or dirty shirts, rows of street sweet-gum trees losing their leaves and sweet gum balls and overfilled trashcans as he reconsiders his life choices. The sound/ tone a Guitar would play as he's walking those sidewalks that is kind of sound I want.
That would be a 1930s National or Regal. And you need Ry Cooder to play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
The sound I'm talking about is resonant full sad rich suspended.
^ But this sounds to me like a traditional spruce and rosewood OM / 808 / grand auditorium sound. Full and rich, warm bottom end (but not boomy like a dred) good middle, clean clear treble. This sound is a very common target among guitar makers, second only to the big, shouty bluegrass dreadnought sound, and every manufacturer has something aimed along these lines, with varying degrees of success.

A really good small jumbo can do this sound too (think Guild), but most jumbos don't have enough treble to do it in a balanced way. The "Taylor sound" is this sound exaggerated - a bit too much of a good thing in my book, but plenty of people like it. And it doesn't have to be spruce and rosewood: some guitars achieve much the same sort of rich, clear, warm, full sound with different woods - a cedar top, for example, or any of several different body materials. Just the same, it is typically spruce and rosewood, and usually in a smaller (but not too small) well-curved body.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.