View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
beautiful, but honestly, I think you need to raise your prices, another 2k on that and I'm sure it would still sell quick enough, with a case even, jeepers...

regional economic realities play into these economic factors and you are at an advantage by not being in a super high real estate market area,comparatively, and yet you are selling national/international, reaching areas with high regional incomes and cost of living markets, and well, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, or be bossy, or rude, I just think your selling yourself short...I'm sure we'd all rather have 2k vs no'k, or a sale vs not, but really unless there's something I'm not seeing or hearing, unless your buying these from China and retooling and varnishing them, I'd say that you, and many makers on this site really should up your prices a bit, I really do think this could sell for quite a bit more in not that much longer a period of time than what it's listed at now.

just my 2
I appreciate your feed back. I agree, handmade custom guitars should go for 3 or 4 times what they are actually able to go for, but it seems to me the market really doesn’t support that.

My goal with this was to make something that I could offer at a lower price than what I’m asking for for commissions and open up more opportunities to get my instruments out there. I was a professional musician for almost 20 years. I know lots and lots of players and know that once you start getting over $2500 they can’t think about it. So in discussing the PL1 with my “focus group” I decided to try and make these for the prices I’ve listed above. I imagine in a little while I’ll raise the price about $200 but wouldn’t want to more than that. I’m hoping the PL1s help sell the customs and that the customs help sell the PL1s.

Other than the hardware, case, and Kerf lining (I get those from Ryan) I’m making everything by hand. Because these are a set design I can make parts and pieces in groups, that cuts down on time. The aesthetic and construction decisions have already been made and that cuts down on time. I’m building these in groups of 4 and that cuts down on time as well. I buy the material and cases in bulk so that cuts down on the costs. Still, I’m not making as much as I’d like but I am making guitars and getting them into hands that appreciate them.