View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Thanks for additional thoughts re: Ultrasound vs Fishman.

As "buzzard" indicated, engineering issues associated with producing something with good features and decent sound at that price range can't be gotten around. Both those amp families seem to do a reasonably good job of it, with some compromises and tradeoffs. Most people have indicated impressions of Ultrasound to be more "rounded/warmer" and Fishman "sharper/sterile". Since one of the major reasons for my acquiring an acoustic amp is to be able to practice/play my jazz archtop, I may tend to lean on the Ultrasound "warmer" sound. Either one would be good for me, no doubt. Too bad I can't A/B test them with my guitars and ears, but such is life.

Speaking of Ultrasound, the shop that sells them here is quite pricey (!). I know I'm in Canada but selling the DS4 at $575 cdn when I've seen it as low as $389 us online gives me some frustration. Maybe I'll go try it out at the store, and if I like it, order one in from the US and hope the shipping/taxes/customs charges don't negate the savings This shop also has a couple of used Ultrasounds, a Pro250 and a CP100. Would these offer head-room or other advantages over the DS4? (albeit for higher cost and more weight...)

Someone else offered to sell me a Trace Elliott TA70CR from the 80's (?) at a reasonable price, but I gather this is a rather heavy amp and has probably been superceded by better gear with more features, so not worth serious consideration? (weight IS an issue for me, lugging an amp to friends' houses for jams etc.)