View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 AM

Default This is such a helpful place! Mixer suggestions?

Just wanted to chime in, too... I also have a Fishman Solo 220 and use it with my Taylor NS24ce and a vocal mic (in church), but can easily easily forsee needing it to include other players and singers.

I JUST got a Yamaha MG166CX - 16 channels for larger portable PA (Mackie SRM450's and a Mackie 1801 sub - woof!), and I agree about the confusing setup on the Yamaha mixers. I GET that you have to select a group or "stereo" for each channel, but it sure threw me for a minute. I like the built-in compressor on the first 6 vocal channels.

I was REALLY confused by trying to get signal to show on the meters. If you have a PFL button pressed on a channel that has no signal, it will show nothing on the meter. Another confusion I had with the Yamaha was that, unlike some mixers I've used (all Mackie), there isn't a signal light on each channel. You can't tell what mic is active. What's up with that?

Anyway... the mixer sounds good. Like the compressors on the channels - wish there were signal lights on each channel. HARD to sort out what mic is doing what when you're in a live, fluid situation. The price was really good on the mixer, though (on sale at GC, with an additional email $20 coupon)... Looking for other mixer options in the 12-16 channel range. Anything else out there with compressors on the mic channels?

Thanks,

Larry
Line 6 JTV-69 Variax, POD HD-500x effects, L3T speaker/amp; Taylor NS24ce (2010); Martin HD-35 (1992); Fishman SA220 amp (2010) Fishman Aura Spectrum (2010) Fishman Chorus (2011); [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Yamaha AG Stomp multi-effects (2002-ish)[/COLOR