View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Having said all that; if you are that adverse to having truss rods in classical guitars;

Don't look at any Cordoba, LaPatrie, Kenny Hill, Takamine, most Yamaha's & Alvarez, and a host of other manufacturers classical guitars.
Yamaha has a long-standing reputation for good quality instruments at all price ranges. It's been a long time since I looked at their nylon-string offerings, though I still have a 45 year old entry-level classical of theirs that is as good as the day I got it. It's neck has no adjustable rod and no reinforcement.

Looking at their website, it appears that the only nylon-string guitars they make that have adjustable truss rods are their cross-over series, their NX series. If I were looking for an inexpensive classical guitar, I'd look seriously at their entry-level C40, selling for about $200. I haven't played one, but, I'd certainly start there if I was in that market. One can't really go wrong with a Yamaha.

I'm not really familiar with the Cordoba line of guitars and have not played one. So, I went to their website.

First on their list is their high-end "Friederich", about $4k. It's detailed spec states, "truss rod N/A". https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/friederich/

Next is their "Esteso", about $2500. It's spec states that it has a dual action truss rod. Their "C5", about $500 also does.

It's curious that their highest-priced model, designed by "Daniel Friederich... influenced by the legendary French luthier Robert Bouchet...one of the most respected and influential luthiers in the world", has no truss rod.

Quote:
Don't forget that a lot of classical guitars have non adjustable carbon fiber rods embedded in their necks that you won't see.

Then comes the ebony strips on the backs of necks to stabilize necks.

Both of them are a form of non adjustable truss rods.
Yes, those are both mechanisms for stiffening a neck. Some notable makers use those mechanisms and on some fine guitars. In my opinion, and that of some other luthiers, they aren't necessary. Regardless, both add less weight than a steel adjustable truss rod.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 02-25-2020 at 10:11 AM.