View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 12:43 PM

Mirwa, since this is a nylon guitar do you still think the spacing to the fretboard edge is high? Or are you saying it's more spacing than a steel string?

I've found that nylon guitars need more fretboard edge space than a steel guitar because of the lower tension, larger diameter high-e, and slipperier strings (they tend to slip down off the fret and off the fretboard, especially up the neck).

OP: I have a Cordoba Fusion (and thinking of buying a C10) and I have similar issues. I'd like to eek out just a smidge more string spacing. Here is what I'm thinking of doing:

1) slide the existing nut down to see how much high-e to fretboard edge spacing I'm comfortable with. If I'm comfortable with less, I can gain more string spacing by moving some strings down. Mirwa's comments above lead me to think there is more space to gain.

2) ditto with the low-e string (but move it up)

3) With the space remaining, and with a new nut, space out the rest of the strings in an uneven pattern; more spacing between strings 5-6 than 1-2 for example. The low pitch strings (4,5,6) have lower tension and are thicker, both of which contributes to my finger muting the adjacent string when I'm fretting. I never have muting issues with the high pitch strings.

This will be an undertaking, so I'm in the 'thinking' stage right now. Maybe I'll have time to do this in June. I've never made a nut (have made many saddles) so I'm exited about doing this and seeing what my results will be. The only other options are to 1) live with infrequent string mutings or 2) get the Cordoba with a non-crossover neck.

Here's an experiment for you: tune up 1/2 step. Do you still have a string muting problem when fretting? (the increased tension should help).