View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 01:50 PM

Thanks for making that.

As you said, there are many things to consider and that your video touches on only five of them. There are two that I think are essential considerations.

First, perhaps a bit odd a thing to say for someone who has made custom guitars for four decades, but... If you can find what you want - whatever that is, however you chose to define it - in a ready-made guitar - either by an independent luthier or a factory-made - don't commission a custom-made instrument. Don't misunderstand me: that still leaves a lot of space for "can't get what I want" in an already-made guitar.

As an example, if you want a D-35, buy a D-35: you want a J45, buy a J45. They are widely available, you can usually play the individual instrument you are considering buying before you buy it so that there are no surprises, no uncertainty. You want a D-35, but with this specific thing and Martin's Custom Shop offers it with that specific thing, buy the Custom Shop one, even though you won't know exactly what you bought until it arrives months/years later. You still know it is going to say "Since 1833" on the head, and will generally sound and play like a Martin, a well-known commodity.

If you can't get what you want, by all means support your, preferably, local craftsperson and have him or her custom make one for you.

Second, understand, before you get too far into the details of this or that about a custom guitar, what is the maker's purchasing and warranty policy. That policy should spell-out, explicitly, what your rights and obligations are and what his or her rights and obligations are: commissioning something to be made for you is a business contract between you and the maker. You should know exactly what will happen in a variety of circumstances.