View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
It would be a good idea to not indulge the concept of "best" as it is almost meaningless outside of extremely narrow contexts and circumstances.
It's pursuit will lead one astray and foster dissatisfaction.
Yeah, "best" gets you in trouble, other that very specific applications - like "between these two takes, I like that one best". I've run into the problem of dialing in a sound I like, choosing mics, placement, the guitar, then coming back the next day and finding it's totally different, and I don't like the sound. Could be I move an inch, could be humidity, or more likely, I'm hearing it different. I could probably do this example over again, maybe with a different guitar, or just another musical snippet, and your impressions might very well change. For me, I sort of still prefer the Brauners, tho I know I didn't provide enough of a sample here for you to really listen to those.

I used to have a tube preamp, UAD something or other. It was dual topology, so I could switch between solid state, tube, or even blend them. I never really got a sound out of the tube side that was anything special, or even all that different. But that's a sample of 1, its hard to avoid believing in the tube mystique. Maybe... (The Brauner's are tube mics, tho)