Thread: New amp(s) day!
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
If you’ve considered the BJr, the Bugera V22 Infinium is supposed to be even better; it has the same tube layout as the Fender and it’s also highly rated.
Indeed it is, and on both counts - especially with the Turbosound speaker that replaced the Celestion wannabe fitted to the first-edition "blue-light" amps (I swapped mine for an Eminence Swamp Thang - big difference) - but in actuality it's closer in both intent and execution to a Deluxe Reverb, being similar in both physical size/weight and output power. If you're looking for the kind of early breakup you'd get from a Princeton or stock BJ it's there thanks to the pentode/triode switch, but in dropping the power from 22 to 15 watts you're also introducing a significant tonal shift, to my ears akin to a pre-Top Boost Vox - and while you can get some very useful tones in this configuration (including a nice "medium-brown" Brit-style crunch with the OD and mid-boost engaged), if you're a hard-core blackface/silverface guy it definitely ain't gonna be your cuppa tea. On the other hand, if you're an eclectic player who needs a single WYSIWYG amp with a broad tonal palette and a minimum of bells-&-whistles, or you're a trailblazer determined to stand out from the pack by creating your own signature tone, you're not going to find anything comparable for anywhere near the V22's under-$400 street price...