View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

I have been looking into a method of condensing my sheet music into one spot. I agree it is often faster to look up a better correctly formatted copy on the Internet. I use an Ad-hock method that might work for many of you. It is based around easy file sharing and uses the cloud.

Use the Dropbox application on your PC, Mac and ipad.
Dropbox allows you to access the same files from your Mac, PC or mobile device (ipad or tablet or droid) all music regardless of being a PDF or a Tab or a word document is placed in folders based on artist or however you want to arrange them. If you know how to organize files and folders on your computer you already know how to use Dropbox. It's free for 2gig of space and they give you 500meg for each referral.

You may need a Tab Reader if you like TabPro or GP tabs that could cost you a few $ similar to onsong.

The advantages are that any additions and changes made on your computer are reflected in your Ipad and vice versa. Also you can very easily share the folder with friends and each of you can add additional music (PDF, tab or whatever you have)

I am able to search for tab on the Internet and open it directly in guitar pro, however I open it in Dropbox instead. That way it is on my computer right in a folder on my desktop the next time I look.(also my iPhone)

On other advantage is if I am somewhere with just my phone I can access my songs and either print them, email them or share them with others I am with as well already them in my phone. I can also log in to the Dropbox website from any Internet connected computer and access my songs.

If that sounds complicated it really is not. You are just accessing your own private storage cloud for music the same way you would for pictures or other files.

Part 2 is a scanner to convert your old paper files. Buy borrow or steal one and scan away to PDF and organize them once in your Dropbox folder.

Inside my Dropbox is a folder called music. Inside that folder is a a folder called tabs, another called backing tracks. Inside Tabs are my tabs organized by artist and a few misc folders. Most are tabs because I have converted but many are still pdf and word files.

I can share my entire folder with someone, but I usually make a copy and just share what we want to exchange.

Dropbox is free so give it a try. Install it on your computer an ipad and iPhone or droid using the same account for all of them. Put a file in one place and it shows up everywhere.
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...