View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I made a living as a photographer for 30+ years and retired from the field when digital took over. These days I don't even have a working camera- digital or otherwise. .....
In college I got into photography big time, both for art and photojournalism. Made most of my money shooting assignments for the college and local newspaper, the yearbook, and for the university. Some weeks I would shoot 20-25 rolls of B&W film and process it all myself, and some Ektachrome slides processed by the E6 method and printed personally. I spent way too many nights in the three darkrooms that I could access. I gave it all up just as digital came along, and don't miss it.

I have some special images, like a swim team diver who went off the high platform in near darkness while I popped off strobes with an open shutter, to combine 4-5 freeze frames into one image. Another was using infrared film through an IR filter over a strong flash to capture nighttime road race images without blinding the drivers. Mine were the only published images not shot from behind a passing car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Does former photographer qualify?
Count me in there too. The last time my 35 mm gear was used was to shoot a friend's wedding, and they just had their 20th anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
....both times I've been heavily into photography, I really burned out on it. Because when I'm into it, I can't turn it off. I can't just walk down the street or along a trail and just take in what I see - I'm CONSTANTLY framing photographs in my mind. If I have a camera with me, I often stop to shoot stuff, but even if I don't I often stop to frame stuff, conceptualize an image. And it changes the way I perceive the world. And after a while, it feels really limiting and artificial and get's kind of exhausting. And both times, I got to a point where I just had to stop so I could enjoy life visually again without always "working it". This sounds a little crazy, and I guess it is, but it's what's happened to me now, twice.....
Been there, done that. There was a time when I could not go anywhere without my camera bag, for fear of missing a shot. Used to drive my (now) wife crazy when we'd drive out to the Lake Superior shoreline to watch the beautiful sunset, and I would eventually comment, "...that wasn't worth the film". I could not have a conversation with someone without mentally overlaying a view finder, composing the frame, judging exposure, etc.

But after completing a twelve f-stop program, I'm feeling much better now. Having learned the life lesson about making your hobby into a job, I have never considered music as a profession. I have been paid to perform on numerous occasions, but had no delusions about making it my "real job".