Thread: Octave Mandolin
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Typical or Atypical?

Thanks for that brief musical bio Mandobart. Your early introduction into the world of stringed instruments has surely been significant for your growth over the years. I've noticed that many skilled performers often got an early start - sometimes in a musical family - learning at the knee of a parent or grandparent (think of Brad Paisley, for example). I'm envious of that. Many things are learned best when we are young. But I'm an old dog now so I wonder if my quest to learn new instruments with unfamiliar fretboards is a fantasy? Effort and commitment have a lot to do with success. I tend to ebb and flow in both arenas. I hope some other "old dogs" will share their stories here. How realistic is it for a yeoman guitar player to spread his/her wings and fly in a new domain such as the mandolin world? What did it take to succeed?
Taylor 714ce; Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson;