View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 01:15 PM

I was using an Avantone CK40 which is a stereo mic in the shape of two mics on a stick. It sounded pretty darned good ... but it was a real pain to work with cause the buttons are tiny and it's hard to see where the movable capsule is rotated. It was also really heavy and required a big boom stand which was no fun in a relatively small room.

So that's gone and I'm thinking about Ear Trumpet Labs (probably Edwina) or Timbre Tone which is similar but more oriented toward studio than stage. Also curious about Audio Technica 4050ST which is another 2 in 1 stereo concept.

In the past I had great results with original Rode Classic and Rode NTV rolled with a great NOS tube (Mullard, if I remember).

There is something about the simplicity of one mic. There are a zillion songs we all love recorded with one mic. Since I record myself, I'm thinking I'd do a lot more recording if it was more point and shoot than worrying about 2 placements and phase concerns. I've already done a recent 2-CD major recording with the CK40 where I really got compulsive. At this point, simpler productions with simpler mic techniques are beckoning.