View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM

99% flat-picker here when playing guitar. In my observation there are two issues: dropping the pick and the pick sliding around within one's grip so that the point is no longer aimed properly. I have only an inconsistent issue with these things.

On electric, where I may be playing "lead" more often, I rarely drop a pick. I do sometimes have an issue with the pick sliding sideways in my grip. When playing single note lead lines my wrist pretty much locked and hold onto the pick with a tight grip. Regular, flat, smooth-surface 351 shape picks are usually no problem for me on electric. When I've tried the smaller "jazz" shapes I find them a little too small, and grip is an issue. I even want to rotate the pick as I get the Roy Buchanan type squeals with the pick side.

On acoustic, I'm often cross-picking, sometimes strumming, and single-string lines may also occur. When strumming I'm using a looser wrist and a looser grip. When cross-picking I have a tighter wrist, but even more up and down movement of the pick where I'm changing directions a whole lot. I don't have much pick drop issue, but the angle of the pick point moving is a problem sometimes. When I move between strumming and cross-picking inside a tune, the chances of issues are maximized.

Textured picks help a bit, but I've never found one that I consistently like sound and feel wise for my range of acoustic playing (I've used Herco nylon for some tunes where the nylon pick sound works). Nubby picks like the Primetones with the raised dots work, but I'm not in love with their sound. Single puncture picks (for example the Everly "star" picks) are the worst, as I'll consistently get pick rotation. Dava picks with the rubber jacket are excellent for grip, but I'm sloppy enough that I get the rubber part striking the strings sometimes, and when that happens, ugh! Rosin style goop is an option I'd try if I was organized enough to have it handy.

One thing I've been trying in the past few months on acoustic with growing pleasure is the larger 346 shape. I started to try them after noticing Silly Moustache touting them in his speed-bevel video. The larger surface helps my grip when strumming and seems to help keep my point aimed better when cross-picking. Worst case, if the point moves I can quickly rotate in any direction and get another point. The larger size isn't my first choice for acoustic "lead" single note lines, but it's less of an issue than I would have thought. I think the larger rounded triangle 346 shape is worth a try for anyone who has pick-grip problems either of the drop or rotate kind.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....