View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Post one or more of your acoustic guitar recordings. Also a picture of your recording space setup would be nice.
lol, a challenge for something this simple?
i've been reading about audio for 40 years. I was an amateur speaker builder for close to 30 of those years where I read quite a few issues of Speaker Builder magazine, and I understand acoustics better than a good chunk of today's designers. I also know the math inside and out.
There is a formula that involves the speed of sound that can tell you the exact wavelength at any frequency right down to the single hertz. Using that information, you can optimize any space, anywhere.
For instance at the lowest frequencies, an acoustic guitar outputs a wavelength in excess of 4'. Now if you take a dreadnought which is 18" at it's widest point, you have a good bit more than half of the sound wrapping around the guitar and heading towards the rear wall where it bounces back. If this sound returns to the mic too soon, it will muddy the sound. This is why you never want to sit too close to the wall. The same applies to any output, whether it be a guitar amp, an acoustic guitar, or monitors.
edit* this is also why in a live end dead end recording solution, you have the foam panels behind you, because that's where the sound is going to be bouncing back from, and you want to absorb as much of that as you can.