View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 12:13 PM

A little update on this new Kinnaird. I got tired of taking baby steps in DADGAD on this guitar and, after about a week, pulled it back up to standard tuning so I could practice some old favorites. I don't know if I just needed time concentrating on very basic stuff (like how to make a C chord ) or if the guitar just needed some time to find it's voice, but I am now officially in awe. There's not a thing I can do on a guitar that doesn't sound better on this, and I know it can do more that I can't yet do - but I will. This morning I practiced "Forked Deer" and "Bonaparte Crossing the Rock Mountains" and they have never sounded sweeter, or played easier. No, I'm not going to take it to bluegrass jams - I promised myself I wouldn't do that - but I think I will practice fiddle tunes on it at home: for one thing, it stimulates me to try new approaches, new sonorities.

Well, maybe it's not for everything. The lead break on "Back In the USSR" definitely goes better on the telecaster. Mississippi John Hurt songs might sound better on this guitar, but they wouldn't sound right. So it won't be my one and only, but it will definitely make me neglect my others if I'm not conscientious. I'm very much in love.