View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
justonwo, can you tell me about that A2 from HGF? i understand it resides at Luthier's Collection and i'm thinking about taking a run out there just to try out this guitar. any recollections you might have would be appreciated.

also, congrats on the new build. i will follow this thread with delight. i already own an A3 and can't seem to put it down. best of luck with it!

Bill
It's the quintessential Brondel A-2, and embodies everything I like about Laurent's guitars. In many ways, it's very similar to my mahogany-backed A-2, though I believe my guitar has a bit less top end and perhaps a bit more projection.

The AGF A-2c really grabbed my attention because it was both very light and VERY responsive. It's a powerful guitar, with tons of headroom and glorious and sparkling top end. It's balanced, lacks nothing, and has just about everything I would look for in a fingerstyle guitar. It has Laurent's signature tone, which I believe to be rooted in the vintage Martin style. It has fantastic note separation and complexity, balanced overtones that don't muddle the fundamental, and a distinctive voice that works well across a wide variety of styles (I had a chance to hear folks playing more modern songs than I typically play and I felt the Brondel outperformed many revered contemporary fingerstyle guitars that were played side by side).

The neck profile is exquisite, the setup is wonderful, and of course it looks great. The action was just a hair too low for my aggressive picking style, but of course that can be easily remedied.