View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 06:54 PM

Since I often do multitrack recordings, my workflow is a little different (even when I do a solo guitar).

On each track, I open it in a wave editor and do pop/click cleanup as needed. I will often raise the gain a bit if I feel like the levels are unusually low. If there is extraneous steady state noise I may do noise reduction. All these changes are saved into the file.

For EQ, stereo width, effects I apply them as FX within my multitrack DAW. I do not write them to the file (equivalent to printing effects in the analog tape world) so that I have ultimate flexibility later to adjust an EQ or reverb.

Acoustic guitar ALWAYS gets a highpass filter of some sort. Combining acoustic guitar and other instruments tends to build up in the bass/low mid range area, and it is critical (for me)to keep things from getting muddy by constant use of high pass filters.

I like to use reverb as an aux send (global) effect. This is because I like to hear a consistent reverb sound as opposed to one reverb for guitar, another for voice, another for keys etc.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci