View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...I currently have a Supro Titan 1X10 combo with a 1x12 matching cab
It has 6L6 output tubes
This Mesa uses up to 4 EL84 output tubes and a Celestion Custom 90 12 inch speaker, so I am assuming it will be a different sound from the Supro...
Told ya we'd get ya, Kev...

As I'm sure you're aware, 6L6-powered amps such as your Supro are associated with classic "American" tone - big, bold, clean, and punchy; the EL84, on the other hand, is the chimey, softer-edged/more-compressed tone of the early British Invasion acts, especially when used in a class-A circuit. Although I've never had the pleasure of playing one, I've heard the Lone Star Special described as "a supercharged Vox AC30" and "the amp (Vox founders) Tom Jennings and Dick Denney would have built but didn't have the technology to pull off" (makes sense, given that the AC30 also boasted four EL84's running class-A); I'm thinking that between the two channels this one will run the gamut from Beatles to 18W Plexi to Brian May - especially with the factory Celestion speaker - which might be a nice contrast to your Titan and its Eminence complement. Be advised, however, that class-A tube circuits are notoriously inefficient when it comes to converting power to sonic output - there's a price to be paid for all that tonal goodness - and they run hotter than southwest Hades in mid-July; since you don't know to what kind of conditions the current owner subjected this amp, you'll want some good glassware in there from the get-go:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...remium-Package

FYI these are Soviet-era mil-spec tubes (the same ones that I've been using in my Bugeras for the last six years) - according to the company they're about as good as it gets in what they term "demanding" AC30-style applications, and IME I'd be inclined to agree; they don't come cheap, though - and IMO you'll want to factor this into your final decision...