View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks s2Y.

I’ve got to admit I’m in a bit of a different zip code than what the Sweetwater article addresses, with respect to amps.

I have bought some things from Sweetwater, and I have found them to be an excellent company, aimed at a wide swath of buddgets, experience and needs. I would, for example, benefit from a similarly conceived article aimed at, say home recording studio gear, of which I know little.

With regards to adding a bass amp, and consistent with the guitar amp bent of the original article, I’ll suggest a Henriksen 312 Jazzamp. I have one, bought used in mint condition for a great price. It weighs 40lb., which is on the upper edge of portable, but far from, say, a Matchless DC30 ( wanna buy one?).

The Henriksen 312 is designed for just about everything. I specifically got it because I wanted to play baritone and possibly 7 string, acoustic and electric, in a solo/trio/quartet setting. It’s a great amp, solid state notwithstanding to say the least, and I suggest anyone interested in live performance or recording check one out. The baritone 6 string, acoustic 6 and 12 string, archtop jazz box and LP type all sound good through this amp,with or without pedals as needed. Something like a RedEye preamp makes it even better.

I think this one would do well for keyboard, bass and mic’ed horns as well.

Another one I’m interested in is Quilter, as Steve DeRosa mentions above. Talk about portable! Of course, they're just the pre and power amp, no speaker box. But literally pedal size.