View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I hear this a lot from luthiers: Bat-s**t crazy customers who provide several pages prescribing how the guitar should sound etc etc. "Like a Traugott AND a Somogyi AND a Walker...AND a Claxton...". You get the idea. And they're working with wood! In our defence, we are commissioning a guitar because we want something very specific, that can't be bought off the shelf, but be reasonable!

IMHO you've done the right thing - find a great builder whose guitars you enjoy, and then let them get on with it. My best builds have turned out like that, including mine from Tom from a couple of years back. We settled on the specs pretty early and then I left him alone. The guitar is a constant delight and one of the longest "honeymoons" I've had.
Hi Steve,

I am happy that you're chiming in.

Actually, I remember you posting very interesting comments about the danger of unrealistic expectations and "micro-management" in the build process. We tend to romanticize because we dream for the guitar to become a life partner, and it's part of the fun. But I've found that an excessive involvement at every step can become counter-productive. AGF can be a dangerous temptation, but also a place of wisdom! Ultimately, luthiers of that caliber manage to reach a great level of consistency, so I know this will turn just right.

By the way, you and Adam might be the sole owners of the Sands MMD, this is almost a collectible! Also glad to hear about the ongoing honeymoon. After 2 years, you can call it a successful match. Out of curiosity, how does it compare to your Claxton?

Cheers,
Tom