View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
Congrats on your upcoming guitar from one of the best builders! I know it will sound and play as beautifully as it looks.
I bought a Doerr Solace from a guitar shop about 5 years ago. It seemed like the best guitar in the shop that day. After some time at home, I found it to be the best sounding guitar I have ever played.
I did a custom order with Tom for my “ideal guitar”, a smaller Legacy cutaway in BRW and Adi spruce, with a Manzer wedge and arm bevel. He accommodated my odd request for using malachite ( a favorite gemstone) in several places- fret markers, bridge pins, and in a clever sound hole design. Moreover he made it all about the wood and the sound, as requested, with little bling but incredibly beautiful wood and woodwork, and sound! Will post pics if there is interest.
Tom was a pleasure to work with, as you have seen.
As for the guitar, for a couple of years my older, larger Solace was the tone king. But my custom Legacy has now grown up to be a mature, wonderful sounding guitar that fits me like a glove. It is light, responsive, inspiring, and comfortable.
I’ve worked with four luthiers on custom builds. I’m not an expert but have some experience. Tom is among the best to work with and his guitars are among the best ever. I’m glad to see his work featured here.
Thanks alot yeah im really looking forward to playing this one anyone I know or hear of that has played toms guitars say there some of the best and he does do awesome work for sure and yeah I'd like to see the pictures of yours with the gemstone he did my odd request for burl top trim and a 3 ring rosette with burl and black pearl and it turned out awesome in my opinion one of the best looking guitars I've seen he also mentioned that he enjoyed building this one because it was the only one he was working on at the time instead of doing 3 or 4 at a time he got to spend alot of time on it and it shows very beautiful work

Last edited by gibsonjk; 04-17-2021 at 08:40 AM.