View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

The Shorty and the X7 are both nice guitars. (My X7 is the previous generation.) I bought the Shorty because of what I determined it to be: essentially, a carbon fiber version of a Taylor Grand Concert. I had been a happy Taylor player prior to that. It quickly became my playing out, travel, first to grab guitar. The chunky neck was the only thing I didn't like about the guitar.

I bought the X7 a few years later, based on what I had read about it. I figured it would be an interesting travel guitar. What I didn't expect: I liked the tone of it better than the Shorty. I don't know how Emerald made a guitar that is physically smaller than the Shorty that sounds bigger. A fuller, richer sound. In a guitar that feels and plays like it was made for me - seriously, all those curves and bevels make that X7 the ultimate in comfort. Sitting, standing, on the couch, in my music room, in the RV. So comfortable.

After getting the X7, the Shorty didn't get played much. After getting an X20, I sold the Shorty.

Prior to getting the X7, I thought "more comfortable" meant a smaller size, like going from a Grand Auditorium to a Grand Concert. Three Emeralds in, each is an ergonomic delight in a guitar that makes my ears and fingers happy.

I haven't had the opportunity to try a new generation X7 yet. I debated between the X7 and X10 when the new models were introduced, and decided to go for the X10. I am happy with that decision.

Currently, 4 weeks in on a hip replacement (getting around with a cane), the X7 is still the guitar I pick up first.