View Single Post
Old 06-18-2022, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Though I don't usually respond to your posts, I always enjoy reading them, Bob. When I read your OP today, what struck me was how good your ears need to be, and how well they need to be connected to knowing exactly what piece of gear and exactly how to use it in a given situation.

There was a period of time when I purchase several pieces of recording gear with the intention of doing a small part of what you do, for my own enjoyment. What I discovered was that, for me to learn to produce anything worth listening to, I would have to spend at least as much time learning how to do that (which means both learning to REALLY hear what I am doing as I do it, and learning the equipment so well that I just know what knobs to turn and how much, to achieve a desired effect).

The end result was that, given the amount of free time I had at the time, it would have to be a choice between continuing to learn my chosen instrument and learning to record. I chose continuing to learn my chosen instrument.

If I ever decide to record something worthwhile, I will hire a studio (which really means hiring a recording engineer) to do that part.

Every time I read one of your posts that contains this type of detail, I am reminded of this decision and why I made it, though I must admit that I thoroughly enjoy your writing.

As it is, I have gone way down the proverbial rabbit hole with jazz guitar, and am enjoying it immensely. I would never have allowed myself that luxury if I had chosen to pursue recording in a way that the craft/art deserves.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...