View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 09:34 PM

When I was in my early 20's, I was taking lessons at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago. After class ended, a large group of the students went over to a local pub called the Saddle Club to hear whoever was going to play at an open mike. On one evening, we were pretty excited because we had been told Steve Goodman was going to play. By then, he already had some fame in Chicago.

Steve played a few songs, then said he wanted to introduce a friend of his, a letter carrier (postman in those days), who wrote some great songs. John Prine, completely unknown at that point, got up and sang a couple of his songs. Of course, they were stunning. Even so, at that point, one couldn't know of the fame he would achieve, nor could the audience know this was an historic moment. His singing was -- well, it wasn't great. The guitar playing was very, very basic. But the lyrics were extraordinary.

One of my favorite memories of the Chicago folk scene.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.