View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 12:43 PM

I mentioned earlier that I'm a bit of a tree hugger - at (/not!) least in that I sort of wrap myself around my guitar:

As the L is a Large beast (MD size), I decided to go all in and get a Manzer wedge and an arm and rib bevel to make it as comfortable as possible.

Tom and I discussed this extensively - including the functionality and appearance. I marked out my preferred bevel positions and sizes on my Kostal MD using blue painters' tape and sent photos to Tom to use as a reference. A truly tailored guitar, to fit like a glove. Well, at least, to fit like a very comfortable guitar. ("To fit like a Strat...?")

Here's Tom cutting the poplar (a nice and light wood, so as to minimise its impact on tone and weight) for the rib bevel:

Rim assembly complete, with triple laminated sides. Shaping the rib bevel to fit the guitar. Not an easy challenge, due to all the compound curves, what with the Manzer wedge, back radius, etc.

Doubtless a "helpful" social media interaction with yours truly … “What Dan…!?!? You DIDN’T want a cutaway or any bevels? And you want a Floyd Rose…! Hmmmmm….” Clients, eh...?

Back to work...

And what mighty tidy work too. Here's a shot of the sides and bevel slotted to receive the back bracing. It also shows off the triple sides (ovangkol/sapaele/dyed maple) in all their multicoloured glory!

Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 04-17-2019 at 08:28 AM.