View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Your story illustrates that maybe acoustic guitars are not quite as fragile as we make them out to be. If we maintain a temperature and humidity appropriate for our comfort, the guitars will most likely be OK too. I don't actively humidify the house here in Idaho but it seems like breathing, cooking and showering provide enough moisture. I use water beads in perforated soap dishes inside the cases for the three coldest winter months when full heat is running, but even then our house rarely dips much below 40% RH according to two hygrometers. My biggest clue to dryness is when I start getting static electricity shocks when wearing synthetics like Polar Fleece. The cat hates those, getting his nose zapped when I reach to pet him.

It is the prolonged extremes - very dry for very long - that causes the cracks and other issues. I believe that is especially true with newer less seasoned wood. BTW the neck reset was almost certainly due to age and prolonged string tension (distortion of the neck geometry) not from humidity swings.
No, they're clearly not all that fragile. And I tend not to be an OCD type of person, but as I get older, certain things can trigger bits of that mostly dormant side of my personality. And for some reason, a really nice acoustic guitar seemed to do it. Which I REALLY don't need. If it hadn't been for those concerns, I'd have never even tried carbon fiber - last year this time I'd never eve really heard of the stuff in terms of guitars.

BUT, I really do like everything about my Emerald as much or more than I liked my recent Martin other than the aesthetic of it, which I miss a bit. But I can deal with that - I miss my long departed parents a lot more, but we cope...