View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Humanist

Default Thomas Rein Osage Orange build...Video added!

I have been remiss in updating this thread...it's been one-thing-after-another, since late December, and I'm now fighting my second head-cold of the season!

I will write a brief note, now, and then hope for the focus and energy to do a video or two over the next couple/three days.

The O.O. guitar arrived just after the end of my January tour, and a few things were immediately apparent to me:

1) Osage Orange is a *great* wood-choice for an acoustic guitar.

2) Tom Rein really knows what the heck he is doing.

3) This particular O.O. Tom Rein guitar is a monster, right out of the box (as the saying goes).

This guitar was/is literally (not figuratively) perfect to my ears, right away. The focus and response, from bass to mids to trebles, is as perfect as any new guitar I have played.Clarity as I had experienced with the Malaysian Blackwood (25.4" scale) guitar that was my introduction to Tom's work, and surprisingly (with the 24.9" scale), an even-better bass response.

The other thing worth mentioning (re: #2 above) is that I had a custom set of specs for the fingerboard geometry, and also how the bridge/strings lined-up with the neck, and Tom nailed it. The playability is quite perfect in all regards, not the least of which is the ability to micro-manage the action via Tom's RJN-adjustable neck feature.

There's really not much more that needs to be said (or can be said)...and I hope I can offer some proof/pudding via YouTube shortly...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 02-23-2019 at 04:59 PM.