View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 11:37 AM

Default Finally Played a Nice D28

Not sure if it's bad luck with duds, a clash of my playing and tonal preferences with what it offers or if the guitar is simply over-rated but I've never played a D28 that impressed me considering the price tag. I haven't played a ton of them, less than 10, but the other day I went to 2 shops and played the D28 in both shops. The first one was the same experience I've always had, just not big or full sounding compared to what I expect but the second one I found had a very nice playable action, great neck feel and a nice much more full tone. I personally wouldn't pay the price tag I don't think but finally I could see why others do. It didn't blow me away but it did sound and play impressively!

Is it a case of my tonal preferences being different? Are D28's pretty inconsistent? I associate J45s with inconsistent tone, but haven't heard that much about the D28. Maybe what I'm unimpressed by actually flourishes in flat picking, which is what most people use them for, I mostly finger pick and strum.

Just some observations I had.