View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
SAMPLE

I have tried different mics, preamps, strings, guitars, settings, position, etc., but I keep getting this annoying metallic jangle when recording rhythm guitar. Anyone ever have this problem? It's in the higher frequency range. It is also a sound I don't hear coming from my guitars in real time.

Rick
Hi Rick,
A totally different idea, but do you happen to suffer from tinnitus or hyperacousis? If you're of an age where these things start to manifest themselves don't overlook the possibility.

Tinnitus is usually fairly apparent, but hyperacousis is the new kid on the block, with far fewer people aware of it. One of the manifestations can be a sensitivity to specific sounds, and the nature can vary widely. It's a possibility that you detect a very specific block of frequencies as being louder, or even edgy to the point of being annoying. The offending noise can range from someone in the next room doing dishes to more pointed material such as specific cymbals or even specific notes on a piano.

In your case you may not even be aware of it until it comes back to your ear in a very specific direction and volume.

Since you haven't got any suggestions that seem to fit I thought I'd mention it. I have both, so I'm totally familiar.