View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 09:54 AM

Even though they are going up in price (along with everything else) I think they still are the best bang for the buck out there.

I live ~30 minutes away from The Mandolin Store, and Dennis is the top selling Eastman dealer in the Country. As a result, I have had the chance to own 4, or 5 Eastmans and test drive dozens more. They really are an excellent avenue for someone to get into the "World of Mandolins". Shoot, their guitars ain't so bad, come to think of it!

I wish they were around when I picked up my first mandolin back in the mid-70's. I would probably be a much better player than I am today. That first one I had was pressed laminate with action high enough to bust any callouses I had from playing the bass. It was a chore to play it and I didn't pick it up very much.

There are others out there that aren't bad for students, from beginner to advanced, to have as their first instrument; Kentucky, The Loar, an Epiphone here and there, but I would probably put Eastman at the top.

*Edit* I have to add that I am currently the caretaker of a 514 (oval-hole ff style). They don't have a way to keep it properly humidified, so I get the benefit of having it around to play. It's a great little instrument. I like the chance to do a little playing on a flat board from time to time.

Last edited by GerryinAZ; 08-02-2014 at 10:13 AM.