Thread: Carbon Tuners ?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
So Alistair didn't actually get these tuners, correct?

So if he has not tried them, I wonder if we can find someone online who has been using them for a period of time? I'd like to know how they hold up over time. My concern was that the carbon on carbon gears would slowly wear away--but I have no real idea if that is a concern or not. They may be bullet proof for all I know.

It would be nice to hear actual user experience not connected to the manufacturer sometime. Off to Google now.
l know for sure that Alistair has had a set of 6 H-S tuners for some time (I think even before they were ever mentioned on the AGF) and that he has experimented with them including trying to improve the finish, but has not been able to his satisfaction. From his time with them, he was of the opinion that they are good and robust enough and would be ideal for his guitars, especially for those with LOTS of strings, but because of the added difficulty in getting them from the Italian company for whatever reason, he has not been able to offer them which has been a disappointment.

After a long time of discussion with Alistair and Heart-Sound directly, knowing my desire for them, Alistair was finally able to source sufficient H-S tuners for my Chimaera (might have been NOS, not sure), but in the end, I have taken his advice not to go with them. So, I'm not certain if he actually ordered the 18, or not. It would be great to hear from a player who has experience with them, but it's a real long shot. I'm trusting Alistair's view.

Edit: I had asked Alistair if it would be possible to apply the same gloss black paint being used on the b&s of my new coco woody Chimaera to the H-S tuner components (exposed parts) and he said it would be, but there would be no guarantee that the paint wouldn't wear off over time, specially on the buttons or string posts.