View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Did you loosen the strings to take the measurement? Did you adjust the truss rod so that the neck was perfectly flat? You would need to do both of those things to make any comparisons between the 3 guitars have any relevance.

You do use the straightedge to evaluate the neck angle when you get to setting the neck, but you're not quite there yet. The neck needs to be perfectly flat so that the straightedge is touching all the frets, and it should just touch the top of the bridge. There's a bit of variability there, because that distance is based on an estimate of how much the top will distort under string tension. You could do a preliminary check before you install frets, and the straightedge would hit the bridge about the height of the fret below the top of the bridge. At this point, all you can be sure of is that you're in the ballpark.
Thanks for the reply.
No I didn't Remove the strings, Just laid the straight edge down the middle of the fret board.
I think my neck angle is gonna be ok. I did have to tweak the shoulder of the neck to get my fret board perfectly centered with the center of the top though. Good to go now. Will post some updated pictures soon as I can get time. Thanks again.