View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
…I don't think there is any doubt that with the huge range of options that someone can build a PC that is more specifically targeted for individual need and save money as well over Apple
Hi KW (& others)…

As a photographer, I shoot ALL Canon cameras/lenses. I have over 15 years, and more than $15,000 tied up in camera bodies and lenses. If I decide to switch eco-systems to (let's pretend) Sony, It's going to cost me over $20,000 in new equipment to match what I have.

It would take 6 months to switch-over to a new system and learning new hardware. In the end, the pictures would not edit faster, nor look better.

The total $15,000 expenditure (after selling all my used gear for $5,000) would not be worth the ability to shoot a few frames faster per second. That's not going to happen.

Apple is not perfect, NO COMPUTER COMPANY IS.

To suggest that people just change operating systems and hardware involves a huge investment in time and energy, and in many cases would result in loss of access to current files, and software they currently use.

People seem to forget that most of us who are Mac users (who the new Mac Pro is not designed for) are heavily invested in an eco system called Macintosh. Same could be said for people who use PCs. If you have a 10 year history with any computer system (or more), you are (A) - familiar with it, and (B) - it's major money, and work to switch. Something has to make that worthwhile.

I don't think Apple is overreaching at all with the new MacPro. And I'm not sure they are reaching back. I think they finally delivered a system for people who are involved with 4K, 6K and 8K video production…with future proofing built in. There are a lot of new, independent film makers who are buying multiple $35,000 camera bodies (before lenses and lights).

It will be interesting to see how many of these new businesses have need for a specialized tool which allows them to edit multiple threads of 8K footage in real time.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…