View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jim

You don't think the Mini fits non-iMac design for desktop? I used one as my desktop for 5 years with an external monitor.

The new mini has tons of connect-ability options, and is pretty easy to add your own ram or drives to.
A friend of mine has one and I'm pretty sure it only holds two internal drives, unless I misunderstood him. He bought it to use in conjunction with his iMac specifically to run orchestral vst sessions. And it wasn't all that quick and easy to add that second drive. Plus, on the 2014 model you couldn't upgrade the internal storage, all you could do was add to it. Nor could you upgrade the ram.

Adding that ssd drive looks like a huge pain in the hind quarters compared to adding an ssd drive to my old Mac Pro. I currently have 3 1TB ssd drives connected to my iMac in addition to the .5 ssd internal drive. Two of those are for sound libraries and I'll be adding another 1TB drive to that pretty soon. The mini is too limited for me and leaves me much of the same complaints as I have about the iMac.

I don't know how many folks are going fall in the new iMac-Mac Pro middle ground like I do but I expect it's a fair amount. Perhaps by the time I'm ready to consider it, the inbetween option will be there.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube