View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I did a 'tutorial' on how to make a guitar out of a fence board and a 2"x4" to poo poo the idea that a person needed $500 in wood to build a guitar. I split the wood trying to get pieces long enough to use and with minimal runout for braces. It was educational as the board has some areas where the grain looked sort of straight. Needless to say there was a lot of waste wood generated in the project. Good wood defiantly makes building easier and tends to make a better sounding guitar.
I've built guitars with under $50 in money spent, and used WRC, Sitka, Sapele, Bubinga, Padauk... all perfectly quartered - but you have to be able to buy them (which you mentioned you couldn't in your area), know what you're buying, and you have to be able to resaw them (which you can do.) Building a guitar to sound like a guitar is easy, building a guitar to sound exceptional regardless of wood, is not. Though Mark does make it look easy! Unfortunately my play time with Mark's guitars was limited to tire-kicking, but a few strums were all I needed!

But I was spoiled. I had a lumberyard locally that didn't use the Internet, and didn't even take credit cards! I could go through racks for hours and pick winners. And the prices were right, as the wood was unsorted. And I lugged them around like old luggage for YEARS, because I know they'd be guitars one day! You wouldn't believe what I bought for ridiculously cheap prices then, that are astronomical today. If I ever get through the entire stash it'd be a miracle - and I have NOWHERE near the wood these guys have!

Such is the sickness of a wood nut.