View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
Fair enough. I would like to set up a computer based, singer-songwriter type home recording system. The recordings would be for sharing with friends and family, I have no desire to be on YouTube ... so quality matters but only up to a certain point. My preference for the chain would be condenser mic(s) -> audio interface -> PC Daw, tracking to external HD. I have a smallish budget, <$1,000, so I’m looking for the best cost-benefit ratios I can find.

As an aside, I will say that so far, the most helpful sites for my research have been AGF and Sweetwater.

Having said all this, my query was whether anyone on the forum has any experience with this specific mic, and whether they could give a thumbnail review. I suspect the specificity of my request has more to do with the number of replies than a lack of background information. But I appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks.
Well, since your preference is to use a mic(s) into an audio interface I wouldn't even consider the usb Marantz mic you asked about.

I've been impressed with the value of the Focusrite Scarlett audio interfaces; I used to use a 6i6 and my son uses a 2i4. If you go that route get a 2nd generation model.

Do you know how many channels you will be recording at once? Will you record vocal and guitar at same time? Will you be doing mono or stereo recording of your guitar? I can't make recommendations on vocal mics, but for a value based sdc for guitar you might consider the Line Audio CM3. I picked up a pair and they are very nice for $150 each. They are a wide cardioid pattern which may or may not be best for your use.

For a DAW I use Reaper. Really nice for $60.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi