View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 01:19 AM

For all of those who keep talking down the U87ai I will have to be the opposing viewpoint. I've put it up in blind shootouts and it more than not it rises to the top of the pile, and I own some pretty good microphones. I love the way it sounds with my Gibson guitars when I'm looking for a vintage rock tone. I have quite a few Neumann microphones, and a few of them, people tried to talk me out of buying, like the M147, TLM103, and KM184. And funny enough, I love all three of these microphones. And I can't say enough good about my U89, it's another microphone that just gets the job done. One thing though, when I buy a microphone I use the holy hell out until I find some magic combinations, like, mic/instrument, mic/preamp, etc. I would recommend the OP doing the same with each mic he buys and really learn the capability of each mic!

But I think this thread is actually pretty interesting. You got an OP who is a novice to recording who is looking at purchasing some REALLY expensive microphones without a clue on what he is going to do with them as he has no practical experience using anything he's looking at buying.

Can't wait to see how this develops.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 07-26-2017 at 01:29 AM.