View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
...I've achieved much the same result as a block by using 5 springs at maximum tension, and cranking down the 6 pivot screws, so that the trem sits flush to the body...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I think using 5 springs and adjusting the screws that the trem plate completely touches the top is a good idea, and one I've done in the past. Unless of course I'm in surf mode.
You don't even need to crank down the pivot screws - FYI this used to be called the "Van Halen Mod," since Eddie used it before Floyds came on the market; good news is that it allows you to do down-bends when/if you choose, you get the benefit of the bridge/tailpiece coupling with the top, and you don't lose that "acoustic reverb" that five-spring Strats used to be known for back in the day...

Quote:
Buy a pack of shims for $3 at the hardware store, and cut to shape...
Quote:
...As to absorption of string energy? By the trem pivot screws. By your reasoning a floating trem would bring no string energy to the body...
PSA: since Louie builds guitars (do a search on the Custom Shop subforum), IME he knows what he's talking about...

FWIW I've been in this game for 55 years, and one of the things I love about the AGF is that I learn something new every day...

Looks like today is your day...