View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley dr20
...With very, very few exceptions, I think it's formulaic and insincere.
Hi bradley...
You need better songs!

I think the circles groups draw music from are crucial. We may be more fortunate than many, but we have a lot of local writers who are quite good. Also, there is a new breed of writers out there who are providing some depth. Their songs are not aired on the Christian radio stations I listen to.

On the other hand...I'm not looking for deep challenging theological exploration with worship songs.

Love songs in the secular range from simple to complex. Some are light, sentimental and syrupy, deep and angry, fun, serious, or raging with passion. Worship music can be diverse and still reflect our love for God.

I'm not sure your analogy of ''formulaic'' holds water all the way to the top of that cup. 12 bar blues are formulaic as it comes, and as popular as chocolate. A certain amount of formula - renamed ritual - is necessary for people to stay connected and comfortable.

I cannot get into the heads of the writers, so how would I know if they are ''insincere''. Maybe they are just immature?

Contemplative songs which require no interaction with a congregation may be the place to wax philosophical. They can be as deep as one likes. I've heard some great music done apart from worship (even integrated with a worship set) where a smaller group with a different style tossed thoughts of God out there in some really unique musical accompaniments.

Worship to me is different.

I think your statements reveal what you are looking for from a church service, but not necessarily what your neighbors want. And I see worship like one course in a 4 course meal...I wouldn't want the whole meal to be appetizers or salads.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-08-2006 at 11:34 AM. Reason: more info