View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-doc
modern worship band tunes are meant to attract the young unchurched who don't know the old hymns..

I think we need to understand what worship is and the purpose of it. Worship is not for me, it's for God. If I don't like the worship song, well, too bad, because I'm not the object of the worship. If I am then there is something terribly wrong.

Worship music comes in all styles and genre's. Contemporary to classical to all styles in between. "Like a River Glorious" and "Great is Thy Faithfulness" are meant to inspire the same purpose of worship as "Here I Am to Worship" or any other contemporary worship song. I love the Passion Worship CD's. Yes, they take those songs and add a modern touch, but the song is typically kept true to its original melody and intent.

Hymns are the original "Praise and Worship" music. Hymns are enduring, endearing, and their words speak volumes to the heart of the issue, Praise to God and worship of Him. Taking old Hymns of Faith and arranging them for fingerstyle guitar is one of my favorite ways to play.

Yes, modern contemporary worshp is designed to appeal to the tastes of the modern generation (of which at 44, I consider myself to be). I enjoy modern Praise and Worship music. As a matter of fact, I help with our church Praise Team. But the point is, our job is to lead Praise, not to entertain or be the object of it. If we are there to be entertained then we are there for the wrong puupose and it is our heart that needs to be checked.

Praise and worship is not designed to attract the "unchurched". As unbelievers, they do not know how to Praise and Worship God nor are they able to. Not until a person has "believed with their heart and confessed with their mouth that Jesus is Lord" are they able to have that type of relationship. Though I will admit that many churches use their praise music to attract the unchurched because it is the "honey that attracts the bear". Saturday evening praise services, "Seeker" services etc., all are wonderful evangelistic tools and are extremely effective when done right and for the correct purpose.

However, to say that Praise music "sucks" is an arrogant statement in that it reveals the heart. It shows what we consider to be our purpose for Worship music. To make ourselves feel good. That's not the purpose of Praise and Worship and it should not be the object of our Worship and Praise. If it is then we all need to deal with the pride of our heart.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Nelson; 01-08-2006 at 08:31 AM.