View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Transcribing is always a process of making lots of revisions :-) I noticed that Jon has the opening note as D, and I had it as G. Jon's right, I probably slipped and clicked on the wrong string, and never went back to check it - you really have to check, and recheck every note, and then have someone else check it, if you're trying for accuracy. Much like proof-reading text, you can even look right at something that's wrong, play it correctly, and not even notice that you're not playing what's written. It takes someone else trying to play it to notice!

Finding 1 is a really important step. On a tune like this, there's a strong groove, but you might not lock in on it unless you just sit back and listen, tapping your foot. On a tune like this, most people will gravitate toward the right downbeat fairly quickly. It'd be really had to keep tapping your foot while off by 1 beat. It's easy, tho, if you just start tabbing, to enter the 1st note, then the 2nd, etc and just keep going without establishing where the first downbeat is and get it off by 1 or whatever. The markers in transcribe are nice for this, just tap your fingers on the M key to the beat. Hard to nail that 1st downbeat tho, since the groove isn't quite established yet. but once you find it, you can go back and mark the initial beats.

I've been messing with a new tabbing thing called soundslice, and it's interesting in that you can also mark the beats and it synchronizes the tab ("bouncing ball" kind of thing), while playing the original music. Somehow the visual of the tab moving along with the music helps see timing errors to some extent, at least in a broad sense.