View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Yep, agree about the Eb rather than an E. Corrected that Timing and the rest is correct as is. Also changed to the
triplet 3 in the time of 2 rather than the 6 in the time of 4 since people are less familiar with irregular note grouping
indications.

Using quarter and eighth notes in place of triplets and hoping people will figure it out is a stretch. Specifying ragtime
feel might work for some people but leave other people in the dark. I normally find triplets easy to interpret timing wise.

In addition to the note timing you want to pay attention to beat accents. So in this 4/4 meter the first little 1/16th G
note serves as a lead in to where the tune takes off on the first beat of the second measure. That lines up the beats for
the rest of the measures.

Here is the midi of the tab (repeated twice)
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Misc/AGF1114.wav
Sorry, I didn't mean to leave out triplets. I believe they should be used. I usually tab with mostly quarter notes, eight notes, and triplets. I'll end up doing dotted notes if it's really important to the feel, but I don't usually spend a ton of time trying to get the feel exact because that's much easier to do intuitively and I'm just not facile enough with getting it right anyway.

I also think of the C as the first downbeat, and I've seen that song tabbed with the C as the down beat in other places. But it does underscore one critical fact . . . this stuff isn't obvious and easy!