View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Well, I understand why you wouldn't want to place EQ into the microphone path while training, but why not EQ (if it gets you to a better sound) either the pickup signal or the ToneDexter output?

The second way is essentially what the EQ knobs on the ToneDexter do.
There's a school of thought that adding extra devices (with their additional gain stages) to a signal chain degrades the system's responsiveness to the touch. I haven't seen it discussed on the forum in recent years, but pickup designers Dave Wendler and Rick Turner used to comment on it at one time. As Rick Turner would put it, you need to weigh the benefits of the added device against some small loss in touch responsiveness.

I've been experimenting with adding my Zoom A3 to the ToneDexter signal chain lately, trying to decide whether having a more flexible EQ device in the system is worth the extra bother and some small degradation of the system's touch responsiveness.

Back in the day when I was using an EFX pedal with the slower tunes, I would use a hardwired bypass switch to remove the pedal from the signal chain when I didn't need effects. I took the advice of Mr. Wendler and Mr. Turner very seriously. I still do. I know from personal experience that they both build superb guitars and know a great deal about instrument amplification.