View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Default Questions for the resonator experts

Greetings all... I posted this over at Reso Hangout as well, but I figured I might get more replies here.

I am a fairly accomplished fingerstyle country blues player, and I've always played regular acoustic guitars. I am interested in getting a resonator; I would play it spanish style, mostly fretted, some standard tuning, in the country blues style. I've never played slide and plan to learn; however, most of my playing would be fretted, especially at first. I would also accompany with voice.
I am wallowing in all of the options I have. It is also very difficult to find different options to play before buying. After much online listening I think I prefer the warmer, more "sustainy" tricone sound, but the triolian sound is also nice. I don't think the spider bridge sound is for me. Main questions I have:
- Is either tricone or biscuit bridge better suited for the style that I plan to play?
- what are the tonal differences between steel bodies, brass bodies, and wood bodies?
- When it comes to acoustic tone, I am pretty picky. As a reso beginner, would I be satisfied with a Republic tricone, or should I just bite the bullet and go straight with the Nationals? Are both likely to sound the same in my hands for the first year or two?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique